For the first time ever, Alabama’s Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday will be in JULY, rather than August! Certain school supplies, computers, books and clothing will be tax-free* from 12:01 a.m. Friday, July 21, 2017, to midnight Sunday July 23, 2017.
The Alabama Retail Association has compiled several free resources for shoppers and retailers, including the detailed list of what items are tax-exempt as well as a promotional poster to print and hang in your store. Find those at this link: https://alabamaretail.org/
During the sales tax holiday, the state waives its four percent sales or use tax; some cities and counties waive local taxes as well, meaning you can save as much as 10% in some cities. Check the list of participating cities and counties.
SALES TAX HOLIDAY LINKS
- Quick Reference for Tax Free and Taxed Items during the July Sales Tax Holiday
A handy reference to print out and place beside cash registers, post in stores, compare to your shopping list or use as a reference while shopping.
- 2017 Participating Cities & Counties
- Promotional Poster for Retailers
- A Retailer Sales Tax Holiday By-The-Numbers Primer
- A Consumer Sales Tax Holiday By-The-Numbers Infographic
- Alabama August Sales Tax Collections in First 11 Years of the Tax Holiday
- Revenue Department Presentation on the Sales Tax Holiday
The Alabama Department of Revenue, the Alabama League of Municipalities, the Alabama Retail Association and the Chamber of Commerce Association of Alabama put together this presentation to explain the law to businesses and answer any questions regarding how the sales tax holiday works.
- Sales Tax Holiday Rule 810-6-3-.65
- Law Moving Tax Holiday to July Act No. 2017-120
- Original Sales Tax Holiday Act No. 2006-574