A Chattooga County couple was injured when a 250 gallon propane tank exploded at their home.
69-year-old Charles Daniel Smith reportedly hit the side of the tank with his lawnmower. The tank shifted and rolled, then ignited.
Sheriff Mark Schrader said he thinks Smith and his 74-year-old wife, Martha, may have tried to stop the runaway tank, before it exploded.
Both received burns on their hands and Charles Smith’s face and beard were burned.
A nearby pickup truck also was destroyed in the fire.
Both were transported to a Rome hospital for treatment.