There were some tense moments at the Calhoun County Jail on Wednesday, when a dryer caught fire.
Sheriff Larry Amerson said jail staff and an on-duty deputy used fire extinguishers to combat the blaze; the Anniston Fire Department quickly responded and put the fire out.
Amerson said one of facility’s two dryers was a total loss, and the second was damaged as well – in addition the laundry room and hallway received smoke damage. Fortunately the fire itself was contained to the dryer and no one was hurt.
No inmate housing areas or inmates were ever in danger.
An inspection of the dryer system, revealed that the exterior piping may have been clogged, in an area that normal maintenance could not address. Sheriff Amerson added that repairs to the areas affected are still being looked at and evaluated.