ABC News(BARCELONA) — Spanish authorities announced that Younes Abouyaaqoub, the suspected driver in a deadly vehicle attack in Barcelona that killed 13 people, was shot and killed Monday. He was wearing what appeared to be an explosive belt at the time, police said.
Earlier this morning, police named Abouyaaqoub as the driver of a van that plowed down Barcelona’s crowded Las Ramblas promenade Thursday, killing 13 and injuring many more.
— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017
Authorities say Abouyaaqoub escaped the scene on foot, then carjacked a vehicle, killing the driver, authorities said.
He then ran up against a roadblock south of Barcelona and abandoned the car in Sant Just Desvern, a town not far from the city, authorities said.
This is a breaking story. Please check back for updates.
Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.