Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Tiger Woods is delaying his comeback.
After it was announced last week he would be making his long-awaited return to the PGA Tour at the Safeway Open in Napa, California, the golf star revealed Monday he had decided to withdraw.
“After a lot of soul searching and honest reflection, I know that I am not yet ready to play on the PGA TOUR or compete in Turkey,” Woods said in a statement on his website. “My health is good, and I feel strong, but my game is vulnerable and not where it needs to be.”
Woods said despite practicing the past few days in California, he “knew [he] wasn’t ready to compete against the best golfers in the world.”
“I would like to apologize and send my regrets to Safeway, the Turkish Airlines Open, the fans in California and Turkey and those that had hoped to watch me compete on TV,” he said. “This isn’t what I wanted to happen, but I will continue to strive to be able to play tournament golf. I’m close, and I won’t stop until I get there.”
Woods has been recovering from back surgeries he had almost a year ago, and has yet to play in a PGA Tour event this year.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.