Alabama’s 16th annual sales tax holiday for school-related items begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday, July 16, 2021, and ends at midnight Sunday, July 18, 2021, giving shoppers the opportunity to purchase certain school supplies, computers, books and clothing free of the state’s four percent sales or use tax.
One of the main objectives of Alabama’s Sales Tax Holiday is to help families prepare for the coming school year. From Friday at 12:01 a.m. to Sunday at midnight during Tax-Free Weekend, certain back-to-school items will be exempt from the sales tax if they below a certain price.
Eligible items include;
School supplies, school art supplies and school instructional materials under $50 per item.
Examples include book bags, notebooks, calculators and lunch boxes.
Clothing under $100 per item.
Examples include dresses, jackets, school uniforms and shoes.
Computers, computer software, and school computer supplies under $750 per item.
Examples include laptops, monitors, keyboards, printers and software.
SALES TAX HOLIDAY LINKS
- Quick Reference for Tax-Free and Taxed Items during the July Sales Tax Holiday
A handy reference to print out and place beside cash registers, post in stores, compare to your shopping list or use as a reference while shopping.
- 2021 Participating Cities & Counties
- Promotional Poster for Retailers
- A Retailer Sales Tax Holiday By-The-Numbers Primer
- A Consumer Sales Tax Holiday By-The-Numbers Infographic
- NEWS RELEASE: Retailers Anticipate More Consumers Will Take Advantage of 2021 July Tax Holiday
- Three Alabama Retailers Offer Their Perspective on the 2021 Back-t0-School Sales Tax Holiday
- Revenue Department Presentation on the Sales Tax Holiday
The Alabama Department of Revenue, the Alabama League of Municipalities, the Alabama Retail Association and the Chamber of Commerce Association of Alabama put together this presentation to explain the law to businesses and answer any questions regarding how the sales tax holiday works.
- Sales Tax Holiday Rule 810-6-3-.65
- Law Moving Tax Holiday to July Act No. 2017-120
- Original Sales Tax Holiday Act No. 2006-574