The Cherokee County Public Library recently paid tribute to an individual who contributed tirelessly to the library and played an important role in the growth of the facility.
Mrs. Doris A. Pearson, who passed away earlier this year, was very active in promoting the library – and she played a major role in securing support for the building of two additions, providing additional space and services.
Library Director Elaine Henry.
Mrs. Pearson’s legacy also lives on in those young people seeking an outlet, and a career, in art – with one promising young woman recently receiving a $1,000 scholarship
With Ms. Henry at the helm the Cherokee County Public Library continues to grow and is an important destination for all ages, offering a variety of programs, including art classes with famed illustrator Cloud Farrow, Genealogy Classes, Story Time Programs, and much more.
This Tuesday (October 14th) Percy Brooks will discuss the ABCD’s of Medicare, which is an informational program regarding enrollment decisions; that meeting begins at 2:30pm.
On Thursday (October 16th) of this week, the Brown Bag Lunch Series will feature Larinda Garrett of “Parents as Teachers” explaining how to help children succeed in reading – that’s from noon until 1:00pm.
For additional information on all the Cherokee County Public Library has to offer, call (256) 927-5838; the library is located at 310 Mary Street in Centre.
- The library will be closed on Monday, October 13 in observance of Columbus Day.
- Percy Brooks presents the ABCDs of Medicare, an informational program to help with enrollment decisions in the Medicare program. Tuesday, October 14th at 2:30.
- Story Time Programs Story Time sessions are presented on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30. Songs, games, crafts, coloring, and reading fun!
- Teen Roots: Teens can learn how to dig into their family history with this six-week program. Mondays from 3:30-4:30; the last session is Monday, October 20th. New session starts in January.
- Genealogy Classes! Track down your family tree with Jessie Whittaker and Louise Wright in the library Genealogy Room.
A new six-week session begins on January 12th and runs until February 23, 2015. Sign-up and materials fee required; call or visit the library to sign up.
Beginning Class: 10:00-11:00
Advanced Class: 11:00-12:00
High School Students: 3:15-4:15
Beginner’s Computer Class: 1:00-3:00
- Brown Bag Lunch Series Next month: Larinda Garrett of Parents as Teachers explains how to help your child or grandchild succeed in reading. If there is a child in your life, you won’t want to miss this one! Bring a lunch; drinks and dessert are on the library! Thursday, October 16 from 12:00-1:00.
- Sew Joyful Quilting Circle Thursdays from 10:00—12:00.
- Cloud Farrow teaches Art Class Thursdays from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Bring 2 #2 pencils and an 8 X 10 sketchbook.
- Reading Around Book Club meets the first Tuesday of the month from 12:00—1:00
- Low Vision group meets the third Tuesday of the month at 10:00.
October 21: Fall Trip
November 18: Rev. Bob Covington
December: Christmas Party—Date and location to be announced
- Alabama Cherokee County Genealogical Society meets the 4th Tuesday of the month from 10:00 – 12:00. Next meeting: October 28.