Library Press Release 6/22/2016
Library Closings: Independence Day, Monday, July 4th
- Coming up: Keep your brain in training this summer with the library’s
Summer Reading Program “On Your Mark, Get Set…Read!”
Keep track of the books you read and earn prizes as you go! Ages Preschool-Grade 6.
and enjoy programs on Fridays from 10:00-11:00 AM
Friday, June 24: The Jacksonville State University Players present an original play:
“On Your Mark, Get Set…Read!” 10:00—11:00
Next Week: Fit for Space. What does it take to be an astronaut? Find out from Anne Shumaker, who trained for the Challenger space shuttle crew.
- Green Bag Lunch Program Regular programs continue on the third Thursday of the month
Thursday, July 21: Darryl Patton explains “Herbs A—Z 12:00-1:00
Next month: Thursday, August 18: A Fall Planting Guide with Dr. John Holbrook,
Master Gardener and Cherokee Rose Garden Club Member.
- Genealogy Classes: Track down your family tree with Jessie Whittaker and Louise Wright
Six-week Monday sessions are held throughout the year. Sign-up and materials fee required; Next session begins on July 11. Beginners 10-11, Advanced 9-10. Call the library for details.
- Reading Around Book Club meets the first Tuesday of the month from 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- Summer Storytime Programs Tuesdays at 9:30 through the month of June, beginning June 7.
Songs, music, crafts, and of course, books!
Following our summer series, Fall Storytime resumes September 13, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30.
- Art Class Drawing with Cloud Farrow Thursdays from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Bring 2 #2 pencils and an 8 X 10 sketchbook.
Elaine Henry Dawson will lead a Beginners’ watercolor class on Thursdays, June 30, July 7, and July 14 from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. This basic class requires a painting supply fee (or bring your own.)
Sign up at the library or call 256-927-5838.An Intermediate session will follow on Thursday, July 21 from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. and run through September 8 for those with previous watercolor experience.
- Sew Joyful Quilting Circle Thursdays from 10:00—12:00.
- Cherokee County, Alabama Genealogical Society meets the 4th Tuesday of the month from 10-12
- Don’t forget—the first seven days of every month are fine-free for books returned in good condition. Also, check out our Book Sale room for some great bargains!