iStock/Thinkstock(MOSCOW) — Dozens in Russia have died due to poisonous bath oils that were reportedly being consumed as a cheap alternative to alcohol.
Local media reports that at least 58 people in Irkutsk, Russia, have died, according to BBC, and over 30 others are being treated with many in serious condition.
A state of emergency was declared in Irkutsk because of the mass poisoning.
The contaminated lotion’s label said it contained ethyl alcohol, but instead the product had poisonous methanol, which can also cause blindness, BBC reports.
As many as 12 million people in Russia drink perfume, aftershave, anti-freeze and window cleaner as a cheap substitute for alcohol, analysts say according to BBC.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.