Firefighters with the Centre, Cedar Bluff & Leesburg Departments responded to a report of a house fire at 108 Park Street during the early morning hours of Wednesday.
According to Centre Fire Chief Kevin Ware the call came in at 3:42am and firefighters made entry to the home, quickly putting out that blaze – which apparently was caused by a space heater.
The homeowner told Ware that he went out to start his vehicle before leaving for work and when he came back inside the smoke detectors were going off; fortunately, everyone in the family managed to exit the home safely and fire damage was limited to just two rooms.
There was however, smoke damage throughout the home.
Chief Ware said it appeared the space heater itself caught fire, with that fire then spreading to other nearby objects.
Ware told WEIS Radio News he would like to once again stress the importance of installing smoke detectors throughout your home, adding that they can mean the difference between life and death.
All smoke detectors should be checked periodically to make certain that they are in proper working order.