Firefighters from Centre, Cedar Bluff and Spring Creek responded to a residential fire at around 1 p.m. Friday on County Road 22.
According to Centre Fire Chief Kevin Ware, a passerby noticed smoke coming from the residence and called 911.
It appears as though the fire was electrical in nature, possibly coming from a drop cord plugged into an outlet in a back bedroom.
The residence sustained moderate damage with the one room being burnt and smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.
The American Red Cross has been called in to assist the family, who was not at home at the time of the fire.
No one was hurt.