Centre, Cedar Bluff and Leesburg Fire Departments were dispatched to the Cherokee County Administration Building on Friday afternoon after a Sheriff’s Deputy drove by and reported seeing heavy smoke coming from the building.
The fire alarm inside the building did go off and everyone was safely evacuated, it appears at this time that the fire may have been caused as the result of a malfunction with one of the heating/air units in the revenue offices.
No one was injured and there was very little or no damage to the building. Centre Police and Cherokee Electric Crews also responded to the scene.
WEIS Radio News will provide updates as additional information becomes available.