Cedar Bluff, Gaylesville & Centre Fire Department Units responded to an active structure fire at a residence on Alabama Highway 9 North in Cedar Bluff on Wednesday morning.
Cedar Bluff Captain Geno Smith was first on the scene and observed heavy smoke and flames coming from the rear of the home. Captain Smith also assisted two youth who were asleep at the time the fire started and barely had time to escape.
Cedar Bluff Fire Chief Jason Stewart along with Gaylesville Fire Chief Bobby Millican pulled a small dog from the home and performed CPR and administered oxygen in an attempt to resuscitate, however firefighters were not able to revive the family pet.
Chief Stewart told WEIS Radio News that the cause of the fire appears to have been an overloaded drop cord.
Stewart said “Smoke detectors can save lives and there were no working smoke detectors present in the home, it is vital to ensure that your home is protected. Early warning can offer time to act when minutes count. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.”
Stewart said that he would like to express his appreciation to all the responders involved. Stewart said “everyone worked in unison to achieve the best possible results, I commend their efforts”
Cedar Bluff Police and Cherokee County Sheriff’s deputies also responded to assist with traffic control.
A Gofundme account has been started for the family and you can find that link below.