HOLIDAY TRAVEL SAFETY TIPS
Millions of people take to the highways to spend the Holiday Season with family and friends – making it one of the busiest times for traffic.
If you’re planning to travel by car, prepare now for a safe visit.
- Make sure your car is in good condition for a road trip.
- Pack an emergency preparedness kit, supplies and a first aid kit in your vehicle.
- Share travel plans with a family member or friend.
- Check the weather before departing and along your route. Plan your travel around any severe that may be coming.
- Be well rested and alert.
- Buckle up, slow down and don’t drive impaired.
- Follow the rules of the road and use caution in work zones.
- Give your full attention to the road. Avoid distractions such as cell phones/texting
- Make frequent stops. During long trips rotate drivers. If you’re too tired to drive – be sure to stop and get some rest.
- If you have car trouble, pull off the road as far as possible.
Download the Red Cross Emergency App for safety tips and customizable weather alerts for where you and your loved ones live and areas where you are traveling.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission.