When you’re away from home for any period of time – especially when you’re out of town – be sure to take some simple steps to safeguard your home and property.
- Be sure to secure all doors and windows, and on sliding glass doors place a piece of plywood on the track to prevent access.
- Notify your neighborhood watch and/or trusted friends and neighbors to keep track of anyone coming or going in your area while you’re out of town.
- Don’t leave valuables such as Christmas presents in plain sight. Position Christmas trees in a way that packages underneath are not visible from a window.
- Use exterior lighting, timers and motion sensors to light up your home at night, so it appears someone is there.
- Never broadcast your travel plans via any social media sites such as Facebook – that means anyone can find out when you’re gone, leaving your home vulnerable.
- Stop deliveries or arrange to have someone pick up your mail.
- Engrave your valuables with your phone number or other information in order to ID your property if it’s stolen.
- Be sure to close and lock garage doors and if possible have a friend or relative park a vehicle in your driveway while you’re away.
- Installing a home security system greatly reduces your chances of being a victim; be sure to place signs identifying the security system prominently in your yard.
- Keep windows and blinds closed so no one can look inside and view an empty home.
Following these few simple rules can help you have a safe and happy holiday season – and leave burglars out in the cold.