Piedmont Fire Chief Mike Ledbetter informed WEIS Radio News that firefighters arrived on the scene within three minutes where they were greeted by flames shooting from the large single-story dwelling, commonly referred to as a “mill house.”
Ledbetter stated that just prior to entering the structure an event known to firefighters as a “flashover” occurred in the front portion of the house, producing intense heat inside, while pushing flames 15 to 20 feet out the front of the structure.
Firefighters were then able to enter the house, bringing the blaze under control in less than 20 minutes; crews remained on the scene for approximately two hours performing salvage and overhaul operations.
Fortunately, the occupants of the home were able to escape safely.
Although an official cause has yet to be determined, an electric space heater found adjacent to a stack of clothing may have been what started the fire.