The summer holidays draw large crowds to Cherokee County to enjoy the beautiful lake and streams for some cool outdoor adventures.
This summer and holiday season I encourage you to practice water safety and help us reduce the number of water accidents and drowning.
We have experienced a sharp number of water related deaths and injuries recently. Please take a few minutes to prepare your family for a safe season.
Here are a few tips from the Sheriff’s Office on safe swimming:
- Always have someone prepared to be a lifeguard; don’t allow children to swim unattended.
- Don’t jump into the water; get your body acclimatized to the water temperature.
- Don’t jump into the water from heights; there could be unseen obstacles below.
- Try to stay out of deep water.
- Look for signs and advise about specific dangers in areas where you are swimming.
- Always have a safety device available and practice for what to do if someone needs assistance.
- Don’t operate watercraft or swim, after consuming alcohol.
- We encourage you to enjoy water sports. Just be responsible and avoid any unnecessary risks.