Piedmont firefighters responded to a report of an apartment fire just before 7:30pm Friday, just off the Highway 278 Bypass.
Upon their arrival, firefighters were greeted by smoke and flames already coming from that apartment; they were told that one person had escaped from inside the dwelling however it was believed that a second occupant was still trapped inside.
According to Fire Chief Mike Ledbetter, firefighters entered that burning structure and they began to conduct a primary search for the trapped individual; they quickly learned that the person had already escaped through a bedroom window.
The fire was quickly brought under control. It appears the fire started when an occupant of the home attempted to carry a pan of burning grease outside.
The injured party was treated at the scene by paramedics with the Piedmont Rescue Squad, and was then flown to a Birmingham hospital burn unit. The apartment suffered heavy fire and smoke damage. Chief Ledbetter stressed that you should never, ever attempt to carry a pan of burning grease outside; instead, put a lid on it, use a fire extinguisher, or pour baking soda on it and cut off the heat.