Report by The Anniston Star –
A former Piedmont football player who is one of three charged with assaulting a teammate requested last week that a judge grant him youthful offender status.
19-year-old Bryson Ingram and two juveniles, all football players at Piedmont High School at the time of the assault, were initially charged Sept. 28 by Piedmont Police with third-degree assault.
They allegedly held a younger boy down in the boy’s locker room at Piedmont High School and forced a key into his anal region in November.
The 19-year-old man’s defense attorney, Sheila Field, filed the application for youthful offender status on Oct. 1.
Piedmont Police Chief Freddie Norton said that a grand jury will review the case and determine whether any more charges, including sex charges, stemming from the incident will be filed.
Norton told WEIS Radio that all three suspects were banned from Piedmont City Schools property and events.
Third-degree assault is a Class A misdemeanor, which can result in up to a year in jail and up to a $3,000 fine upon conviction.