Quick action by local firefighters saved a home on Big Nose Drive in Centre during the early morning hours of Thursday (April 28th).
At around 5:50am firefighters with the Centre, Cedar Bluff and Leesburg departments were dispatched to a report of a structure fire, that had been called in by Cherokee Electric Co-op employees who were on a service call nearby.
According to those on the scene, as the Co-op crew was finishing up, they attempted to turn the power back on, only to have it immediately kick-off again – and that, was when they saw smoke coming from inside the home.
The problem appeared to be the result of an electrical short in the cord of a stove; the small fire was immediately doused, with the home itself receiving very little damage, other than a bit of smoke and water damage.
No one was home at the time the incident occurred.