The first frost warnings of the year means winter is around the corner.
Frozen pipes can cause hundreds of dollars of damage in a short period of time.
- Insulate pipes in the attic and crawl spaces.
- In freezing weather allow a slow drip from faucets. This will relieve pressure on the system and allow water to circulate.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to pipes.
- Set your thermostat no lower than 55 degrees.
- Consider a leak alarm or automatic water shutoff system.
If a pipe does freeze and burst, be sure that everyone in your home knows where the main water shutoff valve is located.