The Tuesday morning meeting of the Cherokee County Commission started with honors for Representative Richard Lindsey, in the form of a special presentation of resolution from the Alabama Association of County Commissions.
Commission Chairman Kirk Day made the presentation which was followed by a brief word from Representative Lindsey:
That act modernizes the administration of county government by revising several outdated sections of Alabama law, and clarifying existing language related to counties.
Specifically, the act does the following:
- Allows counties general authority to contract with municipalities,
- Clarifies Alabama’s law related to county commissioner conflicts of interest,
- Authorizes counties to create a self-funded property insurance program,
- Clarifies bonding requirements for 9-1-1 Board members and employees, and
- Prevents the annexing of county-maintained roads along emergency evacuation routes.
In other business, the Commission approved the hiring of Angie Cox at the Highway Department on a temporary basis in order to fill the leave of Angie Wilson; authorized Alabama Water Sewer & Fire Protection District compensation in the amount of $200 per month – that compensation is to be paid from District Funds and will not be the responsibility of the Commission; Approved a renewal of a Tax Revenue Enhancement Agreement with RDS concerning remittance processing for 5% Lodging Tax and authorized the chairman to sign in addition to remittance processing for General Sales and Use Taxes, also authorizing the chairman to sign; and the 2015/2016 Meeting Schedule for the Commission was adopted.
The next regular meeting of the Cherokee County Commission will be held Monday, October the 26th at 5:00pm, taking place in the County Administration Building in Centre.