A significant heat wave is expected to move into Central AL over the weekend and into early next week.
Excessive Heat Warning criteria for Heat Index is 110° or higher, The National Weather Service in Birmingham says they are concerned some spots may be close to by Monday and Tuesday afternoon.
Important tips to remember:
- If air-conditioning isn’t available in your home, try going to a public building, such as a library.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and or working in the heat. Those who must work outside should take frequent breaks.
- Check in with family, friends and neighbors often to make sure they have proper air-conditioning or shelter, especially those who live alone or who may be at higher risk for heat-related conditions, especially the elderly.
- Drink plenty of water, even when not thirsty.
- Cover your body with light and lightly colored clothing to help prevent overheating; wide-brimmed hats and sunscreen are also advised.
- “Look before you Lock” – remember, children and pets should NEVER be left in a hot vehicle.