Extreme Cold Weather Set to Affect Etowah County
Extremely cold weather is forecast to affect Etowah County this week.
Wind chills are forecast to drop below freezing overnight, and not rise above freezing again until Saturday. Additionally, Etowah County is forecast to experience a 38 hour period of wind chills below 20° between Wednesday night and Friday morning.
Local jurisdictions and agencies are set to open warming centers to provide relief to local citizens. Pets are not allowed at warming centers. The following locations will be open:
- Salvation Army – 114 North 11th Street, Gadsden (Continuously open through at least Saturday morning.)
- Elliott Community Center – 2829 West Meighan Boulevard, Gadsden (Wednesday 8a – Friday 5p)
- Carver Gymnasium – 1030 Tuscaloosa Avenue, Gadsden (Tuesday – Friday 8a – 5p)
- Gadsden Public Library – 254 College Street, Gadsden Tue, Thu hours: 9AM – 7PM – Wed, Fri, Sat hours: 9AM – 5PM
- The Town of Altoona will open during normal business hours. Call 205-589-2000 to request directions to Warming Center.
- George Wallace Senior Center – 407 Hollingsworth Drive, Glencoe (Wednesday – Friday 8a – 3p)
- Rainbow City Community Center – 3702 Rainbow Drive, Rainbow City (Wednesday – Friday 8a – 4p)
- Southside Community Center – 2142 Highway 77, Southside (Wednesday – Friday 8:30a – noon)
- Walnut Grove Recreation Center – Community Building on Vandiver Street, Walnut Grove (Continuously opened, Wednesday 8a – Friday noon)
Please note the Salvation Army is not setup for family sheltering. For family sheltering, please go to the Elliott Community Center location. For transportation assistance in the City of Gadsden, call 256-543-3278 between 6:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. For more information, please dial 211 First Call for Help.
90 Broad Street * Gadsden, AL 35901 (256) 549-4575 * FAX (256) 547-7952 Email: ema@