Universal(NEW YORK) — The Secret Life of Pets ain’t afraid of no Ghostbusters.
The much-hyped, female Ghostbusters reboot opened in second place over the weekend, drawing an estimated 46 million dollars. It wasn’t enough to top The Secret Life of Pets — the animated film was the box office champ for the second weekend in a row after earning 50.6 million dollars.
Ghostbusters, starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon, received pretty good reviews, with a 73-percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Still, the big-budget flick had its share of critics, including some fans of the original Ghostbusters who were against the change from a male team to a female one.
The only other film to debut in wide release, the Bryan Cranston drama The Infiltrator, finished with 5.3 million dollars over the weekend.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales, according to comScore:
1. The Secret Life of Pets, $50.6 million.
2. Ghostbusters, $46 million.
3. The Legend of Tarzan, $11.1 million.
4. Finding Dory, $11 million.
5. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, $7.5 million.
6. The Purge: Election Year, $6.1 million.
7. Central Intelligence, $5.3 million.
8. The Infiltrator, $5.3 million.
9. The BFG, $3.7 million.
10. Independence Day: Resurgence, $3.5 million.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.