The Ft Payne Fire Department received a call reporting a house fire just after 7:30 Tuesday, at 65 Green Valley Circle Northeast; however, moments later – the caller dialed back, stating that there was no fire.
Firefighters continued to the residence anyway, and upon arrival, saw heavy smoke coming from the home. Once inside, they found an active meth lab.
Ft Payne Police Chief Randy Bynum said the homeowner, 51 year old Lea Ann Sims, and 28 year old Pisgah resident Jeremy Blake Tolbert, were both placed under arrest, charged with Manufacture of a Controlled Substance, with Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance and Unlawful Possession of Drug Paraphernalia.
Several of those police officers and firefighters on the scene were taken to DeKalb Regional Hospital in order to be checked out after breathing toxic fumes from the meth lab.
Chief Bynum said additional charges could be forthcoming due to the close proximity of the meth lab to the school.