Clive Brunskill/Getty Images(PRAGUE) — Petra Kvitova, a Czech tennis player and two-time Wimbledon champion, is out of professional tennis for at least three months after a reported home invasion.
Kvitova, 26, was allegedly attacked by an intruder with a knife at her home in Prostejov, Czech Republic, on Tuesday. She said on Twitter that she “badly injured” her left hand, her playing hand, trying to defend herself.
“I am shaken, but fortunate to be alive,” she said on Twitter.
Thank you for all your messages. As you may have already heard, today I was attacked in my apartment by an individual with a knife
— Petra Kvitova (@Petra_Kvitova) December 20, 2016
The tennis star’s manager Katie Spellman said Kvitova underwent surgery Tuesday to repair tendons and nerves on her hand. She tweeted that Kvitova will have to wear a cast for 6-8 weeks and cannot bear weight on the injured hand for at least three months.
Petra has undergone surgery for 3 hours and 45 minutes. Considering the extent of the damage, the surgery went very well. Doctors repaired
— Katie Spellman (@Spellman_Katie) December 20, 2016
The Championships, Wimbledon said in a statement: “The thoughts of everyone at Wimbledon are with Petra Kvitova, and we send her our best wishes for her recovery.”
Earlier on Tuesday before the incident, the Czech tennis player said she would not be able to play the Hopman Cup in Perth, Australia, in January because of a foot injury.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.